Swim Mom Knits

Thirty something wife and mom of two boys who spends all her time at the pool (although not swimming)knitting maniacally.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The day after

I think I am feeling the after effects of to much candy. We had so few kids come by this year, that I (who have no willpower when it comes to chocolate) ended up eating a considerable bit of the candy. To top it off, the boys brought back huge sacks full of candy. We will be eating this candy until Christmas (which is when I get rid of the leftovers).

Unfortunately, we ended up taking pictures on the regular film camera and not the digital yesterday. So I have no new pictures of the boys in the costumes. Ben ended up breaking his sword last night, leaving Nate's the only one left intact. Of course this is likely because Nate refused to carry his last night.

I had my first experience with a direct talk to the principal of Ben's school today. I have spoken to her many times, just never in the capacity of a parent with an issue. (I used to substitute teach at Ben's school) Ben has had an issue with a bully on the school bus. Normally, I leave it to him to deal with these things and he has done very well with it. But this particular kid had already hit him and threatened worse if he told. Ben did take it up with his teacher, but I just wanted to confirm that the Principal knew what happened so that if steps did need to be taken they could. Luckily, the principal is very easy to talk to and knows my son well enough that she took the issue seriously. We'll see if it does any good or not.

My secret pal had sent me a gift certificate for the LYS in my package. Once again thanks Secret Pal, those chocolate filled caramels are wonderful! I have been thinking about what I am going to get. The LYS has a great selection of yarns such as Cascade 220, Noro, Manos, and Claudia's Handpainted just to name a few. I have knitted with many of the varieties she carries but have never gotten the Manos. So I am thinking that I will be getting the Manos in a blue/green color. I never did get pictures of anything she sent me. I blame the kids, they took the stickers. Although I have hoarded the chocolates.

Hopefully, I can get into the LYS tonight. I need a break from my wedding stole. Both the stoles are growing, but are still not finished. I have two more balls of the DB cashmerino on mine and probably 3/4 of the ball of Doceur et Soie on the bride's. I have my first fitting for my dress this Friday, so hopefully I can have mine finished before the final fitting. I am not holding my breath on finishing either to soon.

I have also been thinking about the blocking process for the stoles. Normally, I block things on my bed, but I am sure these stoles will be to big for the bed. I made a blocking board last year to block my aunt's hat on (I made the knitted hat in A Gathering of Lace. I have never gotten any pictures of it, must make mental note to do so). I think I could probably manage to make one again, but I may have to invest in blocking pins. I want these to have nice straight edges and I don't think that I can accomplish that without the wires.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why you always buy candy for Halloween that you like...for the leftovers. Our first Halloween in our current neighborhood, we had ONE kid stop by--we had 2 huge bowls full of candy, so you can imagine. LOL.

Sorry about the bully issue--I really hope you all can get that resolved, but it's good that your child feels comfortable enough to tell the adults in his life.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all about buying candy I like. I didn't get a single trick-or-treater this year :( My teeth are going to ROT!

Hope you got over to RiverWools tonight--have fun browsing!

5:06 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Bully - yuck! I feel for you. Atleast Ben knew to tell. That helps so much if you have adults to trust and help.
I sort of have a belly ache from eating the kids candy. I should know better!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried the 'string' method? You put string through the edges instead of blocking wires - it really helps straighten everything out...

I'm sorry to hear about the bully - hopefully it can get straightened out...bully's need to be stopped before the behavior escalates...

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home