Swim Mom Knits

Thirty something wife and mom of two boys who spends all her time at the pool (although not swimming)knitting maniacally.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Anybody else sucked in?

to Jericho? I may have mentioned this before, but I prefer my tv to have little basis in reality. This is a little to real and way to depressing to watch. Yet, I end up sucked into and can hardly help but to turn it on. Luckily the next episode has the radiation sickness in it and I get so creeped/grossed out (and I watch horror flicks like they are little kids cartoons) by it that I know I won't watch. I got suckered into K-19 while hugely pregnant without knowing it had radiation sickness. I barely made it through the movie.

Knitting has come to a standstill. I just haven't been in the mood due to the books I bought. I have not felt like reading for quite a while and surprised myself with real interest this weekend. Then I realized what the difference is. I finally found a new author that interests me. Everytime I find an author I like, I read voraciously (nice big word, are you impressed?) through everything they have written. Then I sit and wait for each new book, rereading the olds ones every couple of years (or more often depending on how good I find the book). Well, lately I haven't found any new authors that weren't brandspanking first book new that I have fallen in love with. And let's just be honest, I am picky. I like my books like my tv, very little reality. So that leaves Romance (and it can't be to stupid or sappy or contemporary which really rules out a lot of these books), Fantasy or Sci Fi, and a few regular fiction authors (Christopher Moore -- love you). Every once in a while I step outside these groups and try a new book but I don't usually come back for more. I do read some historical fiction and nonfiction books, but they don't suck me in like a really well written fiction book does (plus they are big enough that I can usually knit and read at the same time. With fiction I turn the pages to often to warrant trying to knit at the same time.) I even stepped out of my normal bounds with the new author (I think her name is Charlaine Harris) because she writes in the first person which normally makes me put a book right back on the shelf (I have tried to read many books written in the first person and on the whole just don't care for it) but I didn't check to make sure it wasn't in first person (not usually an issue in the genre) and I was desperate for a read so I started and I have been hooked.

Anyways, the knitting bug is starting to creep its way back in and Supernatural is on tonight so I will have progress pics soon.

Okay, SP9 responses are next for all those not interested.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I love the lofty yarns especially merino but I am good with any wool that is not the least bit scratchy. I don't care for mohairs but use them anyways. I don't do much with novelty yarn unless requested by a relative.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

An overflowing zippered plastic pouch and anywhere they happen to be laying. No real system or storage.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I have been knitting over three years now and would consider myself intermediate. I have done things my LYS owner says are fairly advanced and I never consider not knowing how to do something when I pick a pattern.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes at Amazon.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

For bath products I like citrus scents. I never burn candles (mainly because I have no place to put them). For lotions I prefer unscented (rather boring I know, but having a scent linger on me all day gives me a killer headache)

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Yes, milk chocolate plain or with caramel, yum.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

Some occasional crochet, but nothing else although I would like to learn how to weave.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)


Pretty eclectic tastes here. I will list what I won't listen to (its shorter that way). No rap, not much country, nothing that I can't understand the lyrics (like the ones who scream). I don't think we have any MP3 players.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love blue, purple, red (blue toned), black The only color I don't like is yellow.


10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I am married with two boys and a dog (rat terrier)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I wear scarves, hats, mittens but no ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I knit a lot of hats, some socks, sweaters, shawls -- whatever catches my fancy at that moment

13. What are you knitting right now?

Stoles for my BF's wedding, socks, a hat, a scarf and a couple sweaters (those are just the projects which have seen some action in the past couple of weeks)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

YES!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Wood and I use both straight or cicular. I would dearly love to try some rosewood or ebony needles.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yep to both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

A couple of years.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Halloween

19. Is there anything that you collect?

I collect fairie stuff.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I have a subscription to Interweave Knits and Creative Knitting. I love the Rowan stuff.
I haven't looked at any books lately, but I like those that inspire creativity and those that have patterns you can actually wear (okay so I like them all).

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I would like to learn better how to fix my mistakes without tinking back.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes, I wear a size 81/2 - 9 shoe, but I have a narrow heel.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

08/26

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Yes, I'm hooked on Jericho too! I caught an encore broadcast over the weekend and tuned in last night. (Thank goodness it's on before LOST).

Glad it's on Wednesday because I don't need two nights tied up sittin in front of the tube --- unless I have knitting to catch up on :)

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home