Swim Mom Knits

Thirty something wife and mom of two boys who spends all her time at the pool (although not swimming)knitting maniacally.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Swim Team

Well, Shane has been sick the past couple of days. Since the honeymoon is still on, I didn't have girls' night out last night which worked very well with a sick husband. I got roped into taking Ben to swim team. I didn't have to take Nate as well, once a week with that is enough. I needed to stop at the book store to pick up a magazine and a book so we left a little early. Now Ben enjoys reading, but he typically only reads real books at school for the AR program. I have bought him countless books for home, but he always ends up not reading them or checking them out of the library at school (I don't mind the reading them through the library as much). Last night he surprised me by showing real interest in a couple of books. He has been reading the Hank the Cowdog series through his library. He complained that they don't have enough of them so I told him to look at the store. Well, he was completely sidetracked by the City of Ember. Apparently, the teacher had read a snippet of this book to the class at one point and he enjoyed it immensely. Then we found the whole Hank the Cowdog series. He was hard pressed to pick just one book to take with him (I would buy him more when he proves he will read them).

Practice was hilarious. They did a new drill with their kickboards between their legs sitting up using their arms to pull them along. Ben could hardly keep his board down. I managed to knit a repeat of the MIL' s scarf at practice and two cable repeats on the fisherman's scarf for my co-worker. So it was time well spent.

My sister emailed me yesterday with a request to knit my nephew a new sweater. I was stunned to say the least. She is extremly picky about things and buys his clothes in expensive stores (vs. Kohl's and Wal-mart like me). The problem is she wants it done by Christmas, I told her I would have to check and see, but I think I could potentially get it done. I just don't want to stress about the gifts this year. I have the two scarves to finish and I think that is it. The co-workers has to be done well before christmas and I think I am in good shape to do that. But my MIL's I am just not sure about. The pattern takes a little more concentration than I really care for in a deadline project. Time will tell.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Your sister obviously doesn't realize the work involved in knitting a sweater (even for a little one). I think the best thing to do is to tell her you really don't think you can swing it before Christmas but that you'll do it after. That would alleviate the stress. Then, if you have the time and get it done, that's great and if not, no big deal.

4:36 PM  
Blogger AR said...

I have a SIL who is like that with only expensive stuff. Her little boy wants gloves, but then she got very specific on how isn't wool scratchy, and ..... She hates handmade things.

A sweater by Christmas? Whehew.

Our school does the AR books, too. Glad swim practice was a good one!

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So didja say yes? It's really hard to say no when there's a request for a knitted item - even if they're only giving you two weeks to get it done.

I'd be tempted to say no to her since she seems to have no idea how much work goes into a sweater and probably won't appreciate it...but I could be wrong...

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home